How Wall Decor Impacts the Lives of Others
Sure wall decor makes a living space more attractive. But, wall decor arrangements are not only for aesthetic purposes. They are an important part of the environment inside a living space and affect a person’s mood, energy level and even psychology.
Interior designers and decorators pay special attention to wall decor for setting the right mood and invoking tranquility in the environment so that residents look forward to returning to that homely feeling.
Let us see how wall decor impacts the lives of other people.
Psychological Effects of Colors
Color is the first element that comes to mind while talking about home decoration. A whole bunch of research has proved that different colors affect human psychology differently. This is the reason interior designers and decorators pay great attention to choosing the color palette for a house or an office area.
Let us see how different colors affect your psychology and how you can use this information for your wall decor planning.
- Yellow – the color of sunshine is associated with positive vibes full of joy and laughter. You can add yellow to a dull area to fill the space with positivity and happiness. As a part of your wall decor plan, you can paint your accent wall in sunshine yellow to infuse the feeling of positivity in people living in the house as well as the visitors.
- Blue – It is considered the color of trust, loyalty, faith and confidence. The color blue is also said to increase productivity. This is the reason blue is one of the top choices for offices, especially the offices with repetitive work. If you use any corner of your home as a home office for work from projects you can include blue color in your wall decor around the area.
- Red – It represents strong emotions like love, passion and anger. A hint of red color in your wall art is a good idea but it is important to maintain moderation to avoid aggressive behavior from people spending time in that area.
- Green – This color is associated with the peaceful, relaxing and soothing feeling of nature. You can hang a big natural scenery portrait in your living area to create a relaxing environment. This can help you relieve your work stress and make you feel relaxed as soon as you come home and sit on your couch.
- Purple – The color invokes the feeling of royalty and spirituality. It is also believed to give a sense of warmth and safety. This color can also be used in your home but with a neutralizing color like white.
- White – It is the universally accepted color as it is attractive and works well with every color. If your walls are painted white you can pick almost any decorative item and it will suit your wall.
These colors need not necessarily be the colors of your wall. You can choose decorative pieces for your wall with these vibrant colors to bring their vibrant energy into the environment of your home.
Psychological Effects of Other Elements of Wall Decor
Having talked about the psychological effects of colors, now it’s time to see how other decorative pieces affect a person. Although the link between the interior of a house and a person’s psychology has gained traction in recent years, the knowledge is not new. Older traditions like ‘Vastu Shashtra’ of India and ‘Feng Shui’ of China are good examples of knowledge. Let us see some of the common examples of wall decor and their possible impact on people.
- Family Portrait – One of the most common decorative items seen hung on the walls of homes are family portraits and photo frames of individual family members. These are the most effective pieces of decoration for elevating mood and bringing positivity to life. When we see the smiling faces of our loved ones we naturally feel happier.
- Natural Scenery – Pictures of natural sceneries including trees, mountains, fountains and rivers are said to invoke the feeling of freshness and energy. You must consider hanging a big picture of natural scenery at a prominent place in your living room if it lacks a window that opens outside and allows a fresh breeze of air. While a vivid natural scene provides freshness, a blurred or negative space nature image is said to improve attention.
- Mirrors – Bright and spacious areas are considered good for mood. Mirrors, when placed correctly, make the room brighter and create the perception of spaciousness. Hence, mirrors are said to have a positive impact on a person’s mood. Large mirrors are the best choice from the decorator’s viewpoint.
- Show Pieces made of natural materials – You must have seen walls decorated with hand-woven wall hangings, wall baskets and other such showpieces made with natural materials. Interior decorators believe that things made of such natural material create a harmonizing environment and help the residents to stay grounded and remain tranquil.
- Curtains or Drapes – Gone are the days when curtains were used simply for covering the windows. Now, curtains form an important part of wall decor. Drapes with abstract art create visual stimulation. If you want to enhance your productivity, drapes with abstract art will be the right choice for you. Solid colored curtains will bring with them the psychological effect of that color (as explained above). Drapes made of soft and touchable fabric are believed to create a feeling of romance so they are best suited for your bedroom.
- Quotes and Inspirational Thoughts – Hanging framed quotes and inspirational thoughts as wall decor is now in trend for some time. These are a positive addition to your interior as they infuse a fresh gush of motivation and inspiration every time you look at them. You need to choose the quotes very carefully as they will be affecting you subconsciously even if you realize it or not.
You might like to bring every type of home and wall decor item that is related to positive psychology. But, you need to choose wisely. A cluttered space distracts and creates confusion.